The History of Stone Lake, Wisconsin The first settlers of Stone Lake arrived in the 1880's. They were loggers and farmers who found that they faced a real challenge in their land of promise. Stone Lake became a boom town at the turn of the 20th Century with the arrival of the Soo Line Railroad. Stone Lake provided the water needed for the steam engines and the Stone Lake depot became the busiest station on the Chicago to Duluth route. The railroad brought business and visitors to the Stone Lake area. The small town had four general stores, a national bank , a hotel, a livery stable and an opera house where Burt Lancaster once performed. A century later, Stone Lake is a thriving small town which is very proud of its past and anxious to welcome visitors to enjoy the variety of recreational opportunities, beautiful lakes, and interesting selection of stores. Just about a half-mile from the shopping district, you will find the Stone Lake Area Historical Society Museum complex. The museum is located in the original Stone Lake Soo Line depot building, a refurbished Soo Line red caboose and the original 1926 Stone Lake Town Hall. The complex contains an interesting assortment of antiques and a wonderful pictorial history of the early pioneers. Railroad enthusiasts have been very impressed with the Soo Line history located in the depot and red caboose.